Friday, June 3, 2016

Week in Review 2016: #22

Last Saturday, we attended our niece's baptism. Baptisms are always lovely, and the children (especially Bridget) are eager to be baptized. Bridget has another year and three months to wait.

The rest of our week was not as exciting, as we had nowhere to be. All extracurricular activities are either over for the season or on vacation this week. It was really nice.

Earlier in the week, I taught Bridget how to play checkers. She loved the game and I could see her mind working. George wanted to learn how to play too, so after Bridget's game was over, I taught him as well. It took him a bit longer to understand the game, but he was very entertaining with his facial expressions. I am happy that both Bridget and George are at the age that when I take one of their pieces or they lose the game, they don't cry about it.


Bridget has been in a rut with reading lately. She is reading well, but does not enjoy doing it. (She still loves being read to.) On Tuesday night, without being asked to, she took a Dick and Jane book to bed with her. She came out 20 minutes later to show me how much she had read. She knows all of the words in the Dick and Jane books, so it was easy for her, but I was happy that she was also enjoying it again.


Bridget is trying to be more helpful around the house. Lately, she has been the one to bathe Liam. My husband and I still wash Liam's hair, but Bridget does all of the rest. Liam is very cooperative with her. I also stick around to supervise and to lift him out of the tub into the towel that Bridget has ready for him. Then she dries him off and carries him to the changing table where I take over. Especially at the end of the day, I appreciate the extra pair of hands.


Last night, the children were banned from sitting on the couch for the rest of the evening (due to reckless behavior while on the couch). I turned Thomas the Train on for the boys so that I could have some quiet time to load the dishwasher and tidy up after dinner. I came out of the kitchen to find that all three of them had solved the problem of not having a couch to sit on.


Our homeschool schedule is a lot more relaxed now that it is summer. I am still homeschooling through the summer until mid-July when we take a 2-week break before starting the new year at the beginning of August. Mornings have become difficult with Liam, who wants to be right in the middle of everything we're doing. We're now doing most of our schoolwork after lunch once Liam has been put in his crib for a nap. We get so much more done this way, in a much shorter amount of time.

Linking Up With:

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful problem solvers! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, love that your daughter found joy in reading again. Love the chess play too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...