Monday, December 7, 2015

Reading List: Story of the World, Volume 1 (Ancient Times)

We are using Story of the World, Volume 1: Ancient Times in our homeschool this year. I knew the moment the first book came in the mail that this would be our history curriculum for the grammar and logic stages. We absolutely love it! Using this as our guide to the past, the real fun comes in with the additional reading! (We do not follow a separate literature curriculum, as all of our literature is based primarily on what we are studying in history. They go hand in hand.)

I have spent way too much time looking through our local children's library for books that would accompany each lesson (I can do this all online!). We have already read so many great books this year that I needed a place to document them so that I know what books to borrow when we cycle back around in four years with my younger children. I have also found books online that are highly recommended that I wish our library had. Some I was able to purchase, others I have not. I've included those here as well.

While I am currently only homeschooling a child in the grammar stage, I have come across a few books that are more appropriate for the logic stage and am recording them here for my own future use.

If you are unfamiliar with classical education, the "Grammar Stage" refers to grades 1-4 (or ages 6-9) and the "Logic Stage" refers to grades 5-8 (or ages 10-13). Books appropriate for the Grammar Stage are marked as "(G)" and books appropriate for the Logic Stage are marked with "(L)".

This list is still a work in progress.

Introduction: How Do We Know What Happened?

What is History?

Me and My Family Tree by Paul Showers (G) (L)


What is Archaeology?


Chapter 1: The Earliest People

One Small Blue Bead by Byrd Baylor (G)
The First Dog by Jan Brett (G)
Little Grunt and the Big Egg by Tomie dePaola (G)
Discovery in the Cave by Mark Dubowsky (Step into Reading) (G)
The Secret Cave: Discovering Lascaux by Emily Arnold McCully (G)
The First Drawing by Mordicai Gerstein (G)
The Cave Painter of Lascaux by Roberta Angeletti (G)
First Painter by  Kathryn Lasky (L)
Boy of the Painted Cave by Justin F. Denzel (L)
Painters of the Caves by Patricia Lauber (L)
Maroo of the Winter Caves by Ann Turnbull (L)

Chapter 2: Egyptians Lived on the Nile River

Two Kingdoms Become One

---

Gods of Ancient Egypt

Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile by Tomie dePaola (G)
Croco’nile by Roy Gerrard
The Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt by Leonard Everett Fisher (G)
The Voyage of Osiris by Gerald McDermott  (G)

Chapter 3: The First Writing

Hieroglyphs and Cuneiform


Chapter 4: The Old Kingdom of Egypt

Making Mummies

Egyptian Pyramids


Chapter 5: The First Sumerian Dictator

Sargon and the Akkadians


Chapter 6: The Jewish People

God Speaks to Abraham

Joseph Goes to Egypt

The Coat of Many Colors by Jenny Koralek

Chapter 7: Hammurabi and the Babylonians

Hammurabi's Code


Chapter 8: The Assyrians

Shamshi-Adad, King of the Whole World

---

The Story of Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh the King by Ludmial Zeman (G)
The Revenge of Ishtar by Ludmila Zeman (G)
The Last Quest of Gilgamesh by Ludmila Zeman (G)



That is all for now! Check back in the future for additions to our reading list as we work our way through the ancient world! 


If you have a recommendation for a book that is not on my list, please let me know. We'd love to find it and read it for ourselves!


4 comments:

  1. I love the this detailed list! It's a shame the rest of the chapters aren't finished yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to do the same thing with books for each chapter, but you found some I hadn't! I hope you get a chance to add the others that you used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this - such a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!! This is such a labor of love, and we are so grateful for you generously sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...