Friday, August 12, 2016

Week in Review 2016: #32

Life

We're on the final countdown for gymnastics. We made the difficult decision not to sign up for gymnastics in the fall. The children have two classes left of the summer season, and then we're done. They're sad, I'm sad, and I still don't know what I am going to do about an extracurricular for George (Bridget will be back in ballet/tap/jazz in September). 

After gymnastics this week, we headed over to our new house to check out the progress. They are currently working on the foundation and have laid the brick. The children are standing in our future driveway in front of the garage. They are so excited about the entire thing. I took a lot more pictures and will make a separate post later with details of the house. 


We are currently sitting in limbo with everything going on. We decided to rent out our current home and will need a renter before we move in to our new home. A realtor is coming over on Monday to discuss what we will need to do to put the place up for rent (and we will be listing it with him). We preferred to rent it out privately and offer a better deal on the home ($200-$300 less than what the rest of the houses in our neighborhood rent for), but have had no success in finding someone. We will be packing up our home, putting most of our belongings into a storage unit, and renting an apartment. My husband was able to find a place that has a 3-month lease, and it is only about a mile from here. I am glad to still be close to my parents so that I can take the kids over to play in their yard, since apartment living lacks in that department.

On top of all that, I still have my regular mom/homeschooler routines. We started our new schol year last week. So far, it is going well. We're a little behind in history and science because I had house-related things to take care of (we had a meeting last week with the design center, picking out cabinets, flooring, etc., and this week I have been trying to clean and pack up our belongings). I figure I will have a lot of time on my hands living in an apartment with most of our things in storage, and will easily be able to catch up.

This little guy decided to make my job just a teensy bit harder this week. He "washed" himself with a peanut butter sandwich and I had to give him a real bath before his nap. It's a good thing he's cute. He wants to start potty training, but I really don't want to deal with the inevitable mess right now. Toddlers are so much fun, but they are a lot of work.


Homeschool

The highlight this week was history. We took a "magic carpet ride" through ancient Rome. The children really got into it, holding on to the magic carpet and looking at all of the sights down below.


We also played a game where the kids had to keep barbarians out of Rome. We used the blanket as "Rome" and the children were the Roman army trying to keep the barbarians out of Rome. I surrounded the blanket with stuffed animals as barbarians. Then ready, set, go, I ran around the blanket, tossing barbarians into Rome and they did their best to keep up and get them out. They saw how difficult it was and were able to explain to me how Rome eventually fell as a result of these attacks. Then they got to color one of those big, mean barbarians.



Linking Up With:


2 comments:

  1. I love your "magic carpet ride". That is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your carpet ride and game ideas; how fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...