Thursday, August 11, 2016

My Favorite Scents {52 Lists}

This weeks list is what our favorite scents are. Easy, right?

My favorite scents take me back in time, to places and people that have been a part of my life. It is not only the scent that I remember, but the memories of being with those people and enjoying those places. Scents trigger those memories for me. Other scents just make me happy. Here are some of my favorites.



Plumerias. They are by far my favorite flower. I grew up in Hawaii and many people had plumerias trees in their yards. One aunt had a plumeria tree in her front yard that I used to climb. The plumerias were hard to reach, but even the ones that had fallen on the ground the day before were very fragrant. Another aunt lives in an apartment building, and her second story front porch had clusters of plumeria blossoms within arms reach.

Irish Spring soap. As strange as this sounds, the instant you walked in to my grandparents bathroom, you were greeted with the lovely scent of Irish Spring. I do not know how she got the smell to be so strong in there. I've wondered if she used it to wash the counters, sink, and tub with it. Whenever I smell Irish Spring soap, I am instantly transported back to my childhood, when I would spend the night with them and Grandma would let me fill up the tub and soak in there for as long as I wanted.

Freshly bathed babies. I love the smell of baby shampoo, and after their baths, I used to sit and snuggle each baby on the rocker, and smell their soft baby hair.

Homemade bread. My husband makes great bread. The aroma makes its way around the entire house. I especially like it because I wasn't the one who had to do all the work. My grandparents kitchen also smelled of fresh homemade bread (it was the only bread they ate). Grandpa wasn't much of a cook, but he knew how to use the breadmaker.

Cinnamon. There is something about the smell of cinnamon around the holidays. The candles, the pies, and even the pine cone decor that was soaked in a cinnamon/Christmas spice mixture and sprinkled with glitter. But I only like this scent around the holidays. 

Hot wassail. Since we're already on the topic of Christmas, I love this hot beverage. The smell of the cinnamon, oranges, and other spices, tickles my nose and gets me in the mood to pull out the boxes and boxes [and boxes, and more boxes] of holiday decor.

Freshly baked cookies, hot out of the oven. I don't care what type of cookie it is. Chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter, sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies... the list could go on. It's a cookie.

Island air. Hawaii smells better than the "mainland". I didn't notice until I went home after a year of living away. As soon as I arrived at the Honolulu airport and left the international terminal and made my way to the inter-island terminal, I could smell it. It was sweet and fragrant, like having all of my favorite tropical flowers in one room. Trade winds keep the air moving, allowing for a fresh breath every time.

Mountain air. I now live on the east coast, about a 2 hour drive from the ocean. Each year, we try to make a trip to the mountains. It's a long 5 hour drive, but it's worth it. The area is less populated and there is wilderness all around you. The air smells clean. It's not a strong scent, but it is surely lacking in pollutants.

Coconut. Whether it's a [virgin] piƱa colada or the smell of a new shampoo, I am very drawn to the smell of sweet coconut. 

Linking Up With:


6 comments:

  1. Totally agree with mountain air! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats funny.. when I was a child we had a tiny bathroom that would smell like Irish Spring.. it was the soap we used but the bathroom alwasys had that lingering.. smell as if someone just got done washing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is just something about a freshly bathed newborn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it interesting how a certain smell can bring back so many vivid memories? Love your list of favorites

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it's the memories of the smells that make them so addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do remember the lovely smell when I arrived in Hawaii -- amazing! Living up in the mountains, I do love the mountain air. Loved how you shared your memories!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...