Friday, January 15, 2016

Week in Review 2016: #2

Life

I've been in a bit of a blogging funk this week. Almost zero motivation to blog or take pictures. Homeschool and meals are the only things I seem to still be doing this week. Don't worry though, I'm not depressed or anything. I think I'm just cold. All I want to do is snuggle up and stay warm. The kids are still very active. I don't know how they do it. I'm wearing sweaters, long pants, and socks all day and they pick out shorts and t-shirts and they are fine. 

On Sunday after church, I attempted to take a few pictures of Liam, hoping to get a good one to send to my mother-in-law who has been needing one for a particular frame with all of the other grandchildren. Liam is usually pretty compliant and hams it up for the camera, but not this time. I took a few dozen pictures and the poses all seem to be either Liam playing sad/shy or Liam being fussy. He does this thing now where he makes an ugly cry face and pretends to cry, but he can cut it off in a second. The only decent picture I got of him in on the bottom left, though the top of his head got cut off.



Mid-week, Grandma visited us for the day. I planned only a light load of school work for Bridget (reading, writing , and math), since I knew we'd be meeting up with daddy and going out to eat for lunch. Bridget did a good job at getting her work done (although at time she did get a little too excited) and after lunch, she even read to Grandma. 

Homeschool 

Reading

Bridget is still reading this Dick and Jane book. I have tried to find it on Amazon but only used copies are available. I am always hesitant to get those because there is not a picture of each used book showing me exactly the condition it is in. There are a few other Dick and Jane books just like this one, but with different stories. It looks like they had made a 3-part set for this particular collection. 


Writing

Bridget wrote a few sentences on Tom Sawyer this week. She showed some interest in the story so I went out and bought the book. I have waited for her to be interested in a story that George can also enjoy. We have not started reading it yet, but plan to in the very near future. 

Math

Bridget worked on a new lesson this week involving +8 math problems. The first day of the lesson, she watched the short lesson video (she absolutely loves the "teacher" and thinks he is so funny... and I like him because he really is a great teacher). George likes to join in even though he really doesn't understand what is being taught.



She did very well on the first two days of her math work but then yesterday, everything seemed to be erased from her memory. She looked at her worksheets and math blocks, absolutely clueless about what to do. Then she kept trying to guess the answers (and getting them wrong) so I had to stand by her, holding Liam, and have her show me the work for every. single. problem. This was unusual for her and I was disappointed because I had the lesson test ready for her to take so that we could move on.

As I was talking this dilemma over with my husband, we both thought of our own early education and how students were constantly left behind and lost in math class all because the teacher moved on when the majority of the students understood the new concept. Thank goodness for homeschool and being allowed to move at our own pace and taking that extra time to be sure our little students understand the lessons.

Linking up to:


2 comments:

  1. My son read all the Dick and Jane books we could find; he just loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids learned to read with Dick and Jane and loved them all. I am cold too. I hope you warm up soon.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...