Thursday, July 7, 2016

Life's Trials That Made Me Better {52 Lists}

This was a difficult list to come up with, not because I haven't had my fair share of trials, but because of how personal some of the trials are. However, this could be therapeutic for me, as some of the trials are still ongoing. (Please note that this is not a complete list, but are the first few that came to mind.)


So, here goes:

  • When I lost my grandparents. The circumstances surrounding their death were difficult but I feel that the experience gave me a better understanding of life and the sufferings of others.

  • When we learned that our 18-month-old son was born with a congenital heart defect which could only be fixed with open heart surgery. We were told that without surgery, he may not have lived to see his 5th birthday. In the weeks leading up to the surgery and all throughout his surgery and recovery in the hospital and at home, I had never prayed so hard in my life. Prayers for strength and healing later became prayers of gratitude as I watched my son make a full recovery. Today, my son is a happy and healthy 4-year-old. 

  • When I made the decision to change to a vegan diet. Having inherited a genetic high cholesterol disorder (where my body produces far too much LDL, or bad cholesterol) from my mother, I knew I had to do something drastic. The change has made me more aware of my health and I am much better off than I was before I made the switch. 

  • When my husband abruptly quit his job just two months after I gave birth to our first child. His employer at the time had created a hostile work environment and my husband could no longer be a part of the company. As a result, I went back to work while he stayed home with the baby and studied for the GMAT to go back to school and get his master's degree. We nearly drained our savings during the time he was attending school, but it has all worked out in the end. 

  • When someone very dear to me revealed that they were transgender and undergoing hormone replacement therapy. I knew something was going on because we had not spoken in over 8 years, and before that I could see that they were struggling with something. I never expected this. I had to do a lot of soul-searching to try to make sense of it all. I feel firm in my Christian beliefs, and while this persons choices are not in line with what I believe in, I feel that I have had to exercise great compassion and understanding for this person and their community. I have gradually lost contact with this person again, but I realize that their trials are much bigger than I could ever understand.


Linking Up With: 



5 comments:

  1. I am like you. Some trials are just so personal that they are hard to share with the world. I had to seriously think about mine when posting as well because there are some that I just don't feel comfortable sharing with the world. I appreciate what you did share and the journey it took you on to be able to overcome those trials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this list was meant to be a little deeper and you shared the point that some are too personal -- perfectly fine and so great that you thought about them and hopefully could find the beautiful in overcoming them. I'm so glad that your son is happy and healthy and God carried you through that difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your trials!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your heart and your trials. May God continue to strengthen you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been through quite a bit! May God take you deeper in His comfort and love during your difficult times! He is faithful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...