Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Our July 4th Holiday

We’ve made it a tradition recently to spend the Fourth of July in New Bern, NC with my husband’s parents. We got to New Bern shortly before lunch. I had prepared some vegan baked beans and maple roasted Brussels sprouts to go with the vegan Kielbasa and hot dogs I brought for myself and the kids. The in-laws provided the hamburgers and hot dogs for the meat-eaters. My husband helped his dad with the grilling while I got to relax for a bit. My husband’s sister and her family arrived just as the food was coming off the grill. It was a pleasant lunch and then we visited for a while. My sister-in-law and her family then left to spend the evening with her husband’s family. Then we left Sugar Plum with my husband’s parents while we took the Charmer with us for a quick trip to Wal-Mart. I needed some things (shampoo, toothpaste, borax, etc.) from there but have not been able to go to our Wal-Mart since a shooting that occurred there back in June. It’s probably for the best, as our Wal-Mart is absolutely disgusting to walk through in the first place. While the New Bern Wal-Mart was still a Wal-Mart, it was far less gross than the one we’re used to.


After our Wal-Mart trip, we all had a quick dinner at Taco Bell (the most vegan-friendly fast food restaurant we have here) and got ready to watch the fireworks. We had a great view from the train tracks overlooking the Trent River.


As the fireworks started, my 17-month-old son was fascinated and loved them while my 3-year-old daughter was terrified and screamed for the fireworks to go away. So we pack up our things and walked slowly back to the car, looking back at the fireworks every few steps. At least I got some pictures of the kids before the fireworks started:

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...